Meeting facilities are accessible to persons with disabilities. If you require special assistance to participate in the meeting, notify the Conservancy’s office at (916) 649-3331 at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
Executive Session (Closed to the Public)
1. Executive Session
Executive Session is scheduled for real estate matters pursuant to Government Code 54956.8.
Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors (Open to the Public)
2. Call to Order of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors
The Board Chair will call the meeting to order if a quorum is present. Announcements by the Board Chair or Executive Director may be made at this time. Board members may make announcements at this time as well.
3. Public Comments
Opportunity for members of the public to address the Conservancy’s Board of Directors.
4. Approval of consent items including the minutes
All items listed under the Consent Calendar, including minutes, are considered and acted upon by one Motion. Any Board member may request an item be removed for separate consideration.
The Board Chair will request approval of the minutes of the Board of Directors meeting of June 2, 2021 and consent items.
5. Repairs to the Bolen South Well
The Bolen South groundwater well recently suffered a broken tube and shaft and emergency repairs were made to get the well through the growing season and avoid crop loss. The property has no surface water source, so the groundwater well on site is the only source of irrigation water. The Bolen South tract is one of the few that is capable of and regularly produces alfalfa, a preferred crop type for the Swainson’s hawk. The property lies in the NBHCP’s Swainson’s Hawk Zone.
More complete and permanent repairs are needed to successfully utilize the farmland. The repairs to the well have been quoted at $23,040. In addition, Conservancy staff requests a 10% contingency in the event of any other incidentals necessary to make the repairs complete. Staff recommends Board approval.
6. Natomas Farms East tract fence settlement
This item requests the Board of Directors authorize the Conservancy’s Executive Director or Chief Financial officer to execute and deliver any and all necessary instruments to resolve a long-standing fencing matter on the Conservancy’s Natomas Farms East tract. After years of attempts to work out an arrangement whereby Conservancy livestock activity could take place on a portion of SAFCA property in exchange for SAFCA’s removal of a Conservancy livestock fence, this solution simply “cashes out” SAFCA’s obligation to make the Conservancy for having removed a Conservancy fence in conjunction with a soil mining project on an adjacent property. See the attached draft agreement which is being presented to the SAFCA Board of Directors for acceptance and approval. Staff recommends approval.
The Agreement between the Conservancy and SAFC is available upon request.
Please email your inquiry to: Email [email protected]
7. Proposed 2021 Mid-Year Budget Revision
There have been several events that have caused the Conservancy to present a mid-year budget revision for the Board to consider.
When the 2021 Budget was proposed by staff in late 2020, staff shared that there were many variables in the 2021 budget and should any of these or other events be realized, a mid-year budget revision would be proposed. Since the Conservancy’s auditors check year-end financials against budget as a measure of financial discipline and control, it is especially important to maintain Board oversight of the budget.
A link to the proposed mid-year budget revision is below. It reflects staff’s best current knowledge as to the most significant changes in financial condition as well as expectations through the end of 2021.
The key issues necessitating a budget revision include:
- a decrease in expected revenue from HCP fees from the Metro Air Park,
- an increase in revenue due to the 2021 Groundwater Exchange Program,
- an expense adjustment in Contract work, public education and publications for additional accounting and office help as needed. Adjustments were made for net zero impact to this line item.
- an expense adjustment in Facilities Improvement and Maintenance for pump repairs on Bolen South and Atkinson. Adjustments were made for net zero impact to this line item.
- an expense increase in Electricity for participation in the NCMWC groundwater exchange program.
- an expense reduction in Restoration & Enhancement due to SAFCA’s marsh conversion project.
- an expense increase in Land Acquisition for the acquisition of the Elverta tract.
- an expense increase in Telecommunications and Media for additional updates to the Conservancy’s website for ADA compliance.
Staff will review this in further detail at the Board meeting. Staff recommends Board approval of the proposed 2021 mid-year budget revision.
8. City of Sacramento report
Report from the City of Sacramento regarding HCP-related activity and other topics.
9. County of Sutter Report
Report from the Sutter County regarding HCP-related activity and other topics.
10. Financial statement review
Financial statements will be provided for the period ended June 30, 2021 (unaudited). Additional financial information will be provided.
12. Adjournment of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors
Official adjournment of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors.
Upcoming Regular Meetings
- October 6, 2021
- December 1, 2021
- February 2, 2022